Barrel Project (red wine barrel)

Home Forums Club Forums Club Happenings Barrel Project (red wine barrel)

This topic contains 50 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt Kunze Matt Kunze 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Matt Smith
    Matt Smith
    Keymaster

If you can’t find the yeast you want then you could talk to Remi. I’m pretty sure he has Inglemunster in the club yeast bank, and that is an awesome yeast for a golden strong.

Profile photo of Jason L Connor
    Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

I don’t have my yeast anymore 🙁

Profile photo of Kyle Byerly
    Kyle Byerly

Updated list below. I will brew 10 gallons, just in case.

Please brew in the next week or two. If you can’t please let me know.

Need 13 5 Gallon batches.
    Kyle: 5G
    Chris Osborn: 5G
    Jesse McConnell: 5G
    Matt Smith: 5G
    Jason Conner: 5G
    Todd Weaver: 5G
    Dave Rosso: 5G (will get bumped if new folks come in)
    Meg & Brett: 5G
    Jack Meyer: 5G
    Matt Kunze: 5G
    Allison Rosso: 5G
    Thad?: 5G
    Matthew Kriewall?: 5G

Profile photo of Matt Smith
    Matt Smith
    Keymaster

I am not going to brew for this after all, so you can take me off this list. I just don’t have the time to brew it right now. I am most interested in brewing for this barrel once it gets soured.

Profile photo of meg
    meg
    Participant

Have you finalized the recipe yet? We were looking at brewing this either tomorrow or next weekend, but noticed you weren’t sure about the yeast still.

Profile photo of Alison Rosso
    Alison Rosso
    Keymaster

Sounds like the WY Trappist High Gravity/WLP 530 or WY Belgian Strong/WLP 570 are the choices. We have a few WLP 530s and 570s at the south store, but not much in the Wyeast equivalents. Although there is a seasonal that might be fun to try, which sounds quite similar to WLP 570:

Wyeast 3739-PC Flanders Golden Ale Yeast

Beer Styles: Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Triple and Quad, Belgian Strong Golden and Dark Ales, Belgian Blonde Ale.
    Profile: This well balanced strain from northern Belgium will produce moderate levels of both fruity esters and spicy phenols while finishing dry with a hint of malt. 3739-PC is a robust & versatile strain that performs nicely in a broad range of Belgian styles.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
    Flocculation medium-low
    Attenuation 74-78%
    Temp. Range 64-80°F (18-27°C)

Profile photo of Alison Rosso
    Alison Rosso
    Keymaster

Also, Kyle, I want to clarify that Dave and I are only doing 5 gallons between us. Sorry for the confusion. Need me to recruit more peeps to brew?

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

@kc0dhb Hey Kyle, I just noticed this post. I won’t be able to brew within the next week. Sorry for the inconvenience. Feel free to give my spot to someone else.

Kyle Byerly

We’re ready to fill the barrel when we’re ready. I was hoping to do it the end of June. But it looks likely that we won’t be able to until early July. If you can still brew in that time frame Jason that’d be good.

I brewed 10Gallons so we don’t need another person, but if someone else wants in it’d be good to have the slack.

Current list
    Kyle: 10G
    Chris Osborn: 5G
    Jesse McConnell: 5G
    Jason Conner: 5G
    Todd Weaver: 5G
    Dave & Alison Rosso: 5G
    Meg & Brett: 5G
    Jack Meyer: 5G
    Matt Kunze: 5G
    Allison Rosso: 5G
    Thad: 5G
    Matthew Kriewall: 5G

Kyle

Profile photo of Matt Kunze
    Matt Kunze
    Keymaster

Just brewed my portion yesterday

Profile photo of Jesse McConnell
    Jesse McConnell
    Participant

I brewed mine on Saturday.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Happily fermenting away.

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

@kc0dhb I’ll get this brewed by Monday, that should give me enough time to get it through primary for early July.

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

@kc0dhb Just a thought here. I’ve got a vial of WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussenil sitting around. Is this something that would interest you (and the rest of the group) in throwing into the barrel along with the beer?

Kyle Byerly

I’d rather not put sour bugs into this barrel right off the bat, especially as this is a clean barrel.

But certainly the next batch would be good for Brett, or with some sour bacteria too.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.