Big Brew 2013

Home Forums Club Forums Club Happenings Big Brew 2013

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt Kunze Matt Kunze 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Matt Smith
    Matt Smith
    Keymaster

Big Brew Day is coming up soon so be sure to save the date of Saturday, May 4th. This is one of the most fun events of the year and you definitely don’t want to miss it! Big Brew is a celebration of National Homebrew Day. Each year homebrewers around the world invite family and friends to their brewing site on the first Saturday in May to celebrate the holiday. Everyone is encouraged to brew, enjoy the fun and join in on a world-wide toast at noon CDT. Big Brew will be at my house again this year. The address is 712 Cambridge Dr, Fort Collins 80525. Things will get started at 9 AM. Hops and Berries has been kind enough to sponsor the event again. They will be providing meat for the grill, and everyone is encouraged to bring a side dish. There will also be plenty of homebrew on tap to drink. Hope to see you there!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Matt Smith Matt Smith.
    Profile photo of Matt Kunze
    Matt Kunze
    Keymaster

Wooo!

Profile photo of Taylor Caron
    Taylor Caron
    Participant

The saison I brewed for this, took a chance again with the Dupont, and while I won’t say it stalled, 1.053-1.010 is not amazing attenuation. Still, 5.6ish % is plenty for a party and it’s tasting great. Anyway, there’s Brett and lacto in there, might drop another couple of points before Sat!

Taylor Caron
    Participant

And anyway, what do you plan to brew?
    Ima do as close to 15 g as I can manage, Belgian pale malts, one carboy gets Brett brux, one Bastogne, one a saison mixed culture I’ve been working on.
    Assuming I get that done in time, 10 of simple Kolsch.
    πŸ™‚
    Funfunfun

Matt Smith
    Keymaster

Here is the Home Brew draft list for Big Brew Day:

Mike B. – Best Bitter

Josh O. – Citrus Pale Ale

Taylor – Saison

Kyle – Coffee Brown Ale

Andy M. – Session Pale Ale

Alison – Hefeweizen

Megan and Brett – Brown Ale

Matt K. – Blonde Ale

Matt Smith
    Keymaster

I’m a glutton for punishment so I am going to brew a Rye IPA with 50 % rye and a Rye Saison with 30% rye. Key words: Lots Of Rice Hulls.

Matt Smith
    Keymaster

<cite>@hopaholic said:</cite>
    The saison I brewed for this, took a chance again with the Dupont, and while I won’t say it stalled, 1.053-1.010 is not amazing attenuation. Still, 5.6ish % is plenty for a party and it’s tasting great. Anyway, there’s Brett and lacto in there, might drop another couple of points before Sat!

Using the Dupont strain is a bold choice for a beer that you wanted to be ready within a month. In my experience it usually takes about 2 months of fermenting in the mid 80’s to reach final gravity, unless I use a separate strain for finishing (like 3711).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Matt Smith Matt Smith.
    Profile photo of Jason L Connor
    Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

I think I’m going to play it safe and just make a mead this time πŸ™‚

Profile photo of Matt Kunze
    Matt Kunze
    Keymaster

<cite>@jlconnor said:</cite>
    I think I’m going to play it safe and just make a mead this time πŸ™‚

Cheater…

Not sure what I’ll brew yet – should probably bring back the ginger pale ale that has been on hiatus the last few years. Maybe a wit as well

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

<cite>@onelessham said:</cite>
    Cheater…

Yeah, but I don’t really know what else to brew. My taps are full for a while, so it’d have to be a bottled beer (or something really hard, like a lager). Perhaps I can brew my dubbel or golden strong…

Taylor Caron
    Participant

<cite>@matt-smith said:</cite>
    Using the Dupont strain is a bold choice for a beer that you wanted to be ready within a month. In my experience it usually takes about 2 months of fermenting in the mid 80’s to reach final gravity, unless I use a separate strain for finishing (like 3711).

Not bold at all when you’re giving it away for free! Actually, a very sensible opportunity to take a chance. πŸ˜›
    Yesterday it was at least a point lower, and the lacto is coming through. Brett will likely be lost on it for at least a month, but fun nonetheless.

Profile photo of Michael Barnhart
    Michael Barnhart
    Participant

Anybody have the capacity to brew 10 gallons and want to brew a batch together and split it with me? I would like to make something that will finish quick so I can drink it before I leave May 20th. It will be my last batch in Colorado πŸ™

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

Sorry Michael, I’m bringing my 5 gallon setup so that I won’t require electricity. Anyone else?

Profile photo of Alex Grote
    Alex Grote
    Keymaster

Woohoo!

I’ll be there. Matt Burton and I are going to knock out a 20 gallon batch of my 30 Minute Pale Ale recipe and then probably coast for the rest of the day. Nice and simple.

Matt Smith
    Keymaster

<cite>@mikeb said:</cite>
    Anybody have the capacity to brew 10 gallons and want to brew a batch together and split it with me? I would like to make something that will finish quick so I can drink it before I leave May 20th. It will be my last batch in Colorado πŸ™

I’m already planning on brewing 2 beers that day, so I don’t want to brew any more than that. If you bring the ingredients I’m sure you can talk someone into it after they’ve had enough beers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.