New Site Comments

Home Forums Club Forums Publick House New Site Comments

This topic contains 38 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jason L Connor Jason L Connor 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Matt Kunze
    Matt Kunze
    Keymaster

There are a ton of additional bbpress plug-ins, I installed a few to play around with some things (threaded replies, better searching). Hopefully there are some that provide better navigation within the conversations.

Things I’d like to see:

* The main forums page needs to list the recent activity, number of posts, etc
    * breadcrumbs or and easier way to move within a conversation. After you post you only see your reply, and it’s confusing how to get back to the conversation
    * The recent replies list on the right is going to get really cluttered if there is any sort of traffic, so making it work better might be helpful
    * More of a nice-to-have, but lots of forums have an option to ‘view posts since last visit’ or something similar, which is pretty nice

Profile photo of Jason L Connor
    Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

So I’ve made a number of improvements to the forums. The main page automatically showed statistics when I created “category” forums and stuffed our existing forums under them. I also switched up the sidebar to include: search, who’s online, and active topics (the latter instead of recent replies)

Profile photo of Dave Rosso
    Dave Rosso
    Participant

Who’s brew system is that on the front page? I think I have brew-on for it! Also is that the new logo? I’m not sure if I’m a fan yet.

Otherwise the general layout and look is really nice. Very simple and easy to navigate. I really like the info on the front page.

Suggest subforums for:
    Barrel projects
    club equipment tracking (like the beer gun)
    Events – Competitions and results

Profile photo of Jay Shambo
    Jay Shambo
    Participant

I had to put a dash in the space in my name when logging in. That really confused me, and I didn’t like it. Today they want a dash, tomorrow an ampersand, then what? Resist the punctuation takeover.

Profile photo of Jester Goldman
    Jester Goldman
    Participant

I agree about the “posts since last visit” feature. I’d raise it to a higher level than nice-to-have. Still this looks really good so far.

Profile photo of Matt Smith
    Matt Smith
    Keymaster

The forum navigation is driving me nuts!!! There are currently 3 pages to the thread “New Site Comments,” but you can only view the additional pages by clicking on the 1, 2 or 3 by the title of the thread in the “Publick House” section of the forum. When you get to the end of one page of the thread, there should be the option to view the next page, or however many pages you want to scroll forward. That is really frustrating.

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

Ok, so the threaded replies for the forums was somehow turning off the paging navigation, so I’ve disabled and removed it.

Profile photo of Kyle Byerly
    Kyle Byerly

I prefer the sidebar as upcoming events…
    http://liquidpoets.com/join-the-club/

Unless we’re going to add the ‘buy stuff’ bits…

Also, yeah, this seems a bit easier to manage than the older forum…

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

I’ve changed the sidebar, depending on the section of the site you’re in. I like the widget here, but I can certainly add the events list to it as well.

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

As far as any kind of “activity since last visit”, I can’t find an appropriate plugin for the forums. The “Hot Topics” are all topics with recent replies. I’ve increased the maximum topics to show to 10, so hopefully that can suffice. I’ll keep looking though.

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

Man, I still do not like the reply submittal. It’s ugly and unintuitive to be taken to page with just your comment.

Profile photo of Matt Smith
    Matt Smith
    Keymaster

Thanks, Jason. It’s much easier to navigate to the next page of the thread now.

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

@matt-smith said:
    Thanks, Jason. It’s much easier to navigate to the next page of the thread now.

Reply with quote. I figured I’d try to do something since we lost threaded replies.

Jason L Connor
    Keymaster

[b]bold text[/b]
    [i]italic text[/i]
    [u]underlined text[/u]
    [s]struck through text[/s]
    [url]http://wp.antonchanning.com/bbpress-bbcode/[/url]
    [spoiler]and so forth…[/spoiler]

I added the bbcode plugin so that some rudimentary formatting is available to everyone. Details are in the link above.

Profile photo of Taylor Caron
    Taylor Caron
    Participant

Looks awesome. Tiny thing: “we are makers of beer” marginalized all the mead and wine happening. Maybe it doesn’t come off like that, but there’s some tasty ethanol to be made with no barley at all.
    Navigation is easy. Might could use some more inviting colors, less black.
    Huge improvement!
    😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.